Subject: Re: shuffling subversion pkgs
To: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@apk.od.ua>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/09/2004 13:03:46
On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Mike M. Volokhov wrote:
> minimal (?) and basic functionality of SVN. The "recommended" SVN's
> server is an Apache/WebDAV, thus installing Subversion you should be
> ready to Apache installation, isn't it?

IMHO, no.

I'm only starting to play with SVN, but it seems the Apache setup is not
the only way to access the repository via network. Instead (and from my
POV preferred) doing it like cvs via ssh and a 'svn server'-like thing is
possible, esp. with only the subversion-base command.

The WebDAV stuff is nice and probably recommended for browser integration
and high end tools, but it's probably ways overkill for what we'd use in
NetBSD. Think about it: 1 server, 300 developers - why install Apache 299
times w/o need? Sounds like a big security and maintenance issue to me.

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>