Subject: Re: shuffling subversion pkgs
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Jonathan Perkin <jonathan@perkin.org.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/08/2004 17:26:13
* On 2004-03-08 at 17:21 GMT, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Eric Gillespie wrote:
>
> > I feel very strongly that when a user discovers package Foo and
> > decides to install it from the package system, they should get
> > the Foo that they read about, not an arbitrary subset the chosen
> > by the packager.  I have provided the subversion-base package as
> > a compromise between the desire you have expressed and mine.
>
> Well, with our current "subversion" pkg, I not only get Foo, but
> also Bar and probably Baz and whatnot - surely not what I had in
> mind at that time.

This is the same as lang/ruby vs lang/ruby-base.  Someone installing
"ruby" gets more than just the base package, which they may not be
expecting.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but maybe we should be using
meta-pkgs/ more for "full featured" installs, and leave the base
package to be exactly-what-it-says-on-the-tin.

Cheers,

--
Jonathan Perkin                         <jonathan@perkin.org.uk>
BBC Internet Services         http://www.perkin.org.uk/jonathan/