Subject: Re: shuffling subversion pkgs
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Gillespie <epg@pretzelnet.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/08/2004 12:10:33
Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de> writes:

> I know that, and I guess what's subversion-base today is more
> than enough to run SVN. But not knowing that, pkg_add'ing just
> "subversion" installs apache2 and whatnot, which is _ways_ over
> the top.

I feel very strongly that when a user discovers package Foo and
decides to install it from the package system, they should get
the Foo that they read about, not an arbitrary subset the chosen
by the packager.  I have provided the subversion-base package as
a compromise between the desire you have expressed and mine.

> Preventing users from installing stuff they don't need is the
> idea here.  If you have a good idea (and want to do the work
> :), that'd be fine.

This sounds like you're threatening to revamp the package if i
don't.

--
Eric Gillespie <*> epg@pretzelnet.org