Subject: Re: lang/tcl fails on Solaris (no libtclstub created)
To: Charlie Allom <charlie@rubberduck.com>
From: Dan Winship <danw@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/07/2004 08:41:30
On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 05:32:45PM +1100, Charlie Allom wrote:
> lang/tcl will not install as it fails to build libtclstub.a. Here is
> the output - hope you can figure it out, as I can't make sense of what
> is going wrong.

patch-aa makes it use libtool in a way that libtool 1.5 doesn't like.
If you change the libtclstub rule to use tclStubLib.lo instead of .o,
it works. I found this on OS X yesterday, but after fixing that, it
just fails later somewhere else. (Because tcl is already trying to do
some things to make shared libraries correctly and our patches to use
libtool end up blowing away only half of that on OS X, making it use a
bogus combination of flags in the end.)

At this point I discovered that tcl 8.3.4 is two and a half years old,
and the latest version, 8.4.6, was released last week, and so it might
just be easier to update to that rather than continuing to try to beat
sense into 8.3.4. But I don't really know anything about tcl so I don't
know if I want to try to do that.

-- Dan