Subject: logical flaw in wrapper scripts of buildlink3
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.maer.vier@onlinehome.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/06/2004 15:17:02
Hi,

in bsd.buildlink3.mk, the directory ${BUILDLINK_DIR}/bin gets included
in front of PATH in order to override executables with the wrapped
versions.

Further down, the variable # _BLNK_WRAP_SANITIZE_PATH.*
  "sets the PATH for calling executables from within the wrapper. By
   default, it removes the buildlink directory from the PATH so that
   sub-invocations of compiler tools will use the wrappees instead of
   the wrappers"

Doesn't that effectively prevent using devel/binutils with buildlink3?

As I understand it, binutils/buildlink3.mk is included to get the
more recent versions of as, ld, etc. The paths to those newer versions
are supposed to be recorded in the wrapper scripts (variable "cmd").
But if a wrapped gcc does not use the wrapper scripts for as or ld it
still uses the executables from the base system.
This is what's happening for me on NetBSD 1.5.4_ALPHA with lang/gcc,
devel/binutils and multimedia/mplayer.

ciao
     Klaus