Subject: Re: bl3/libtool question
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@buildlink.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/04/2004 16:16:53
On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 05:19:25PM +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:

> I'm trying to update SDL to 1.2.7.
> The package itself updates fine, but when I try
> to install audio/SDL-esound, it fails with:
> ===> Installing for SDL-esound-1.2.7
> cd /usr/obj/audio/SDL-esound/work/SDL-1.2.7/src/audio/esd && shlibtool --mode=install  install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444 libaudio_esd.la /usr/pkg/lib
> install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444 .libs/libaudio_esd.lai /usr/pkg/lib/libaudio_esd.la
> install: .libs/libaudio_esd.lai: stat: No such file or directory
>
> There is no .lai file there.
> The request for the .lai file seems to come from libtool-fix-la,
> since ".lai" only appears in the buildlink infrastructure (and
> two unrelated files) in the work dir, on the right hand
> side of "laifile=" which only appears in the same file.
>
> I don't have any idea what it's trying to do or to fix, and
> why it doesn't work.

*.lai files are generated by libtool (the plain libtool, not the bl3
wrapper).  They are the actual libtool archive files copied by libtool
as *.la during the installation process.  From the above error, it
sounds like the libaudio_esd.lai file was accidentally removed or not
generated at some point.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@buildlink.org>