Subject: problem building libwww under osx
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Antoine Reilles <Antoine.Reilles@loria.fr>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/03/2004 15:10:59
Hello,

I have problems in building www/libwww with the current pkgsrc, installed under
mac os x 10.3.
I have all the pkgsrc related stuff on an UFS disk, and i have installed all
the necessary tools (x11 and x11 sdk, and developper tools).

The problem seems to be in the way PLIST is handled, since in PLIST, there are
some lib calles lib/lib*.so, and i only build some lib/lib*.dylib.
There is some awk magic in mk/bsd.pkg.mk do deal with it, and it seems to work
great, since i can install other libs without problem.

I had another problem with libwww, under macosx : the awk shipped by apple
produces an error lik : Too many open files, which can't be resolved with
ulimit. So i use AWK=/usr/pkg/bin/gawk. Can it be what makes the awk magic fail
? in fact, i don't think so, since i have successfully build vim before.

I include here a log of $sudo bmake install :

[snip]
`/Volumes/NetBSD/pkgsrc/www/libwww/work/.PLIST' is up to date.
===> [Automatic dylib shared object handling]
ls: /usr/pkg/lib/libmd5.so: No such file or directory
ls: /usr/pkg/lib/libmd5.so.1: No such file or directory
ls: /usr/pkg/lib/libmd5.so.1.0: No such file or directory
ls: /usr/pkg/lib/libpics.so: No such file or directory
ls: /usr/pkg/lib/libpics.so.0: No such file or directory
ls: /usr/pkg/lib/libpics.so.0.0: No such file or directory
[snip]
a lot of similar lines, with lib files i haven't in /usr/pkg/lib/, but i do
have the corresponding .dylib files. Ant after that :

ls: /usr/pkg/lib/libxmltok.so.1.0: No such file or directory
===> Registering installation for libwww-5.4.0nb1
pkg_create: can't stat `/usr/pkg/lib/libmd5.so'
pkg_create: can't stat `/usr/pkg/lib/libmd5.so.1'
pkg_create: can't stat `/usr/pkg/lib/libmd5.so.1.0'
pkg_create: can't stat `/usr/pkg/lib/libpics.so'
pkg_create: can't stat `/usr/pkg/lib/libpics.so.0'
pkg_create: can't stat `/usr/pkg/lib/libpics.so.0.0'
[snip]
and the same list of libs, again

It is really strange.
When I do bmake update, then, i have a bunch of errors too, but saying :
[snip]
install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444 ./wwwconf.h /usr/pkg/include/wwwconf.h;
gnumake[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
sh: line 1: lib/libmd5.dylib: No such file or directory
sh: line 1: lib/libmd5.1.dylib: No such file or directory
sh: line 1: lib/libpics.dylib: No such file or directory
sh: line 1: lib/libpics.0.dylib: No such file or directory
[snip]
and this time, all the .dylib files listed here are in my system, in
/usr/pkg/lib (maybe not really all, i haven't checked everything, but most of
them, sure)

I really don't know how to fix it, and even not really what the problem is, but this libwww is really important, in order to have an usable system (give me my teTeX)

so, thanks all, and sorry for the long mail,
  antoine