Subject: How to request GNU bison
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/28/2004 18:50:02
Hi all,

I'm trying to package something that explicitly requires GNU bison. So I
thought... let's do 'USE_GNU_TOOLS+=yacc' and hope tools.mk does everything
else.  But I was wrong.

If I do that, tools.mk only tries to provide a yacc utility that is good
enough to work for most programs.  But I want the GNU flavour of it, not one
that may work.  So I find this confusing...

What about changing tools.mk so that USE_GNU_TOOLS _always_ picks up a GNU
variant (it could check if the base system provides it to avoid
reinstallation), and add a USE_TOOLS that can be used to mark a package as
needing some special tools?

I.e., you do:

USE_TOOLS+= yacc lex

then, tools.mk will try to provide a yacc and a lex that work, as it actually
does.

But if you do:

USE_GNU_TOOLS+= yacc lex

then you always get the GNU versions.

Or maybe make USE_GNU_TOOLS recognize 'bison' as another "different" utility
that explicitly pulls bison in?

Grant? ;-)

Cheers

--