Subject: xvidcore: wrong ld flags for Solaris?
To: None <>
From: John D. Baker <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/27/2004 21:31:03
While trying to build multimedia/xvidcore (dependency of
multimedia/mplayer), the build process failed to create the shared

-n Linking the shared library...
ld: warning: option -o appears more than once, first setting taken
ld: fatal: file open failed: No such file or directory
ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** Error code 1

bmake: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/multimedia/xvidcore/work/xvidcore-0.9.2/build/generic

Earlier in the configuration step, I saw the following:

checking for build extensions... .so .a .o
checking for platform specific LDFLAGS/CFLAGS... -Wl,-soname, -shared -lc -lm

I suspect the configuration script assumes that GNU ld is being used rather
than Sun's ld.  I found the line in "" where the LDFLAGS had
been used as "SPECIFIC_LDFLAGS" and removed everything before the '-shared'
and the link step succeeded, creating .

The install step didn't create symlinks for '' and
'' pointing to as I would have
expected.  We shall see if this causes a problem...

John D. Baker, KN5UKS                    NetBSD     Darwin/MacOS X
jdbaker(at)mylinuxisp(dot)com                 OpenBSD            FreeBSD
BSD -- It just sits there and _works_!