Subject: Re: installing based on package profiles
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/27/2004 16:53:53
> Dare diving into pkg_create (and pkg_add), and you'll encounter
> +REQUIRED_BY.

I am looking for something that records that a package was installed by a
direct "pkg_add" (maybe manually) and not as an indirect dependency.

Listing just the packages that do not have +REQUIRED_BY files possibly may
not be good enough for me. Because I want to list the packages that I
directly installed too. For example, I install apache manually. Later, I
install a php module. So I have a +REQUIRED_BY for apache and when I get
my list of packages generated it won't have apache. So I take this profile
to another box and then I decide I don't want php so I remove it. Then I
won't get apache either. Maybe this doesn't matter, maybe listing packages
that do not have +REQUIRED_BY files is fine.

What switch for pkg_info should be used to list packages that do not have
+REQUIRED_BY files?

I want pkg_add to output a list of packages that are installed
directly without any COMMENT and with or without any version number.

What switch should be used for pkg_info to not show the one-line comment
field for each package?

What switch should be used to not include the version number for the
packages when listing out the installed package names?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/