Subject: ncurses install fails on MacOS X 10.1.5
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: John D. Baker <jdbaker@mylinuxisp.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/27/2004 18:30:30
I've been unable to install ncurses on MacOS X 10.1.5.  It gets part-
way through the installation step and then dies as shown below:

installing ./cursesapp.h in /usr/pkg/include
installing ./cursesf.h in /usr/pkg/include
installing ./cursesm.h in /usr/pkg/include
installing ./cursesp.h in /usr/pkg/include
installing ./cursesw.h in /usr/pkg/include
installing ./cursslk.h in /usr/pkg/include
installing etip.h in /usr/pkg/include
install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444 /Volumes/NetBSD/pkgsrc/devel/ncurses/work/ncurses-5.3/c++/demo.cc  /usr/pkg/share/examples/ncurses++demo.cc
zsh: no such file or directory: lib/libform.dylib
zsh: no such file or directory: lib/libform.5.dylib
zsh: no such file or directory: lib/libmenu.dylib
zsh: no such file or directory: lib/libmenu.5.dylib
zsh: no such file or directory: lib/libncurses++.dylib
zsh: no such file or directory: lib/libncurses++.5.dylib
zsh: no such file or directory: lib/libncurses.dylib
zsh: no such file or directory: lib/libncurses.5.dylib
zsh: no such file or directory: lib/libpanel.dylib
zsh: no such file or directory: lib/libpanel.5.dylib
*** Error code 1

Stop.
bmake: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/devel/ncurses

It complains about not being able to find these shared libraries (or
actually links to them).  The libraries and links it seeks are actually
in:

    .../pkgsrc/devel/ncurses/work/ncurses-5.3/lib/.libs/

so it looks like there might have been an incomplete edit somewhere.

In fact, the libraries and symbolic links have been installed many times
over in the earlier stages of the installation, but in this iteration,
there is a problem.

From the preceeding context, it appears that the installation procedure
was doing "make install" in the "c++" subdirectory of ncurses.

I recall having the same problem under MacOS X 10.2.8, but I have not
revisited that issue on that machine yet.  I did not have any problems
like this on Solaris 9.

I've been trying to understand the Makefiles to see if I can spot an
inconsistency, but it has not yet revealed itself.  Perhaps others
can offer suggestions?

Thanks.

--
John D. Baker, KN5UKS                    NetBSD     Darwin/MacOS X
jdbaker(at)mylinuxisp(dot)com                 OpenBSD            FreeBSD