Subject: Re: gcc3 patches
To: MLH <mlh@goathill.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/25/2004 23:17:14
On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 01:29:05PM -0600, MLH wrote:
> Might one of you describe in a fair amount of detail exactly how
> you get pkgsrc to work on solaris(8)? Until the move to gcc3 last
> summer or so, I used to be able to build about 150 pkgs under
> bootstrap-pkgsrc (and earlier under zoularis) but with gcc3 I can
> only build a handful of really simple pkgs, and I'm not the only
> one with this problem. Reading *all* of the available documentation
> and following it doesn't help. Evidently there is something else
> or some different environment that allows you to build from pkgsrc
> under solaris that others of us don't have and don't know about.

The problem I had first was a circular dependancy:
gcc3-gmake->some libs->libtool->gcc3
To break this, you have to build gmake (and the dependancies) with some
external compiler, then set the GCC variables in /etc/mk.conf,
pkg_delete libtool and reinstall it. This time it will depend on
gcc3-{c,c++,f77}. Once you have this, pkg_delete gmake and its dependancies,
and reinstall it.

The key here is to reinstall libtool, so that it will have the proper settings
for gcc3. Reinstalling gettext-lib and libiconv (both required by gmake)
will update their .la for the new libtool (I'm not sure if it's really needed).

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>