Subject: Re: gcc3 patches
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: MLH <mlh@goathill.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/25/2004 13:29:05
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 10:01:34AM +1300, Mark Davies wrote:
>> From:  Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
>> Date:  Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:57:06 +0100
>>
>> > - upgrade to gcc 3.3.3 (the most important, 3.3.2 can't build qt3-tools
>> >   on solaris because of what looks like a codegen bug)
>>
>> In what way can't it build qt3-tools?
>
> uic was complaining about parse errors in files, past the end of file.
>
>> Over the last day I've built qt3-libs,
>> qt3-tools, arts, kdelibs3 and just starting on kdebase3 using gcc3-c* on
>> a Solaris 9 box.
>
> What version of solaris ? I'm using 12/03 (relased on Jan, 2004) and I've
> also big troubles with /bin/ksh on things like libtool (with
> libtool-base-1.5.2nb3).

Might one of you describe in a fair amount of detail exactly how
you get pkgsrc to work on solaris(8)? Until the move to gcc3 last
summer or so, I used to be able to build about 150 pkgs under
bootstrap-pkgsrc (and earlier under zoularis) but with gcc3 I can
only build a handful of really simple pkgs, and I'm not the only
one with this problem. Reading *all* of the available documentation
and following it doesn't help. Evidently there is something else
or some different environment that allows you to build from pkgsrc
under solaris that others of us don't have and don't know about.

Right now, I can't even build perl. It gets to:
Let's see what value errno gets from read() on a O_NOBLOCK file...
fchmod() found
fchown() found
fctl() found
and then just hangs.

This is with the latest bootstrap-pkgsrc and either SUNWSpro cc or gcc3.3

Thanks