Subject: Re: [FreeBSD-Announce] Ports scheduled for removal in March and April (fwd)
To: Hubert Feyrer <>
From: Michal Pasternak <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/25/2004 15:57:51
Hubert Feyrer [Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 01:39:04PM +0100]:
> Maybe we should do some spring-cleaning too? ;)

Well, as fredb@ already pointed out, there is some point in removing
obsolete packages, why not.

But, removing packages, which work, are developed, but are only left without
mainteance? Just have a look:

> databases/mysqlcc	2004-04-22

	- this is a great program, which helped me a lot with getting
	  on a some SQL work I had to do
> devel/imake	2004-03-09

	- imake? Well, I suppose they have reasons :) I still find
	  it useful.
> lang/stackless_python	2004-04-07

	- stackless is developed, only slow :)
> net/nicotine	2004-04-17

	- it works
> www/flashplugin-mozilla	2004-04-22
> www/flashpluginwrapper	2004-03-09

	- what's wrong with those two?

... and that's only about the packages I know.

So, they are removing these ports not because they are obsolete, but they
don't seem to have enough manpower to fix them (or, we can treat Kris'
e-mail as a cry for help).

I don't think this is even reasonable. Creating a HTML page with "this port
needs your help" list would be much better, than just blindly remove them.

Please don't do the same thing with pkgsrc.

Take care,