Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/net/netcat
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/24/2004 09:06:46
>> imho, you should instead make a NOT_FOR_OPSYS=openbsd something or
>> other.  openbsd already *has* nc in /usr/bin, to failure to build it
>> only means you've been wasting your time trying.
>
>pkgsrc provides many tools that are already available in base operating
>systems. I have seen an effort to remove the limitations from some to now
>allow them to install.

okay, i suppose that makes sense.

>For example, someone may have an old OpenBSD box with old netcat, but
>recent pkgsrc with a newer netcat implementation.

actually, that would be rather difficult, considering that openbsd
originally imported the same thing we have in pkgsrc (nc v1.10 by
hobbit) and then rewrote it from scratch.

arguably, now they don't have the same thing, so...

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."