Subject: Re: bsd.pkg.mk broken?
To: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Gerraty <sjg@juniper.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/24/2004 01:42:25
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:31:16 +0000, "Johnny C. Lam" writes:
>> >Yes, \{ also seems to work with the version of make that I have lying aroun
>d.
>>
>> Ok cool - that's what I would have called "correct".
>> Of course I agree that make should be smarter about parsing this
>> stuff ;-)
>
>I think the man page should be updated to reflect this bit of knowledge
>(needing to backslash-escape the embedded curly brace).  When I read
>the man page and tested this on 1.6.2, I didn't see anything that would
>have implied that "{" was a special character in any way unless it was
>preceded by "$".

Its a bug that make considers { significant other than just after $
when I said that I expected \{ should work - I mean from having
looked at the parsing code ;-)  It should be obvious of course that
a } within a variable expression should be escaped if it is not the
end of that reference but that's more or less orthogonal.

--sjg