Subject: Re: bsd.pkg.mk broken?
To: Simon Gerraty <sjg@juniper.net>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/24/2004 09:31:16
On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 12:03:44AM -0800, Simon Gerraty wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 23:38:26 +0200, Alan Barrett writes:
> >> That's fine, doesn't a simple \ work?  ISTR :M at least checked for \{
> >
> >Yes, \{ also seems to work with the version of make that I have lying around.
>
> Ok cool - that's what I would have called "correct".
> Of course I agree that make should be smarter about parsing this
> stuff ;-)

I think the man page should be updated to reflect this bit of knowledge
(needing to backslash-escape the embedded curly brace).  When I read
the man page and tested this on 1.6.2, I didn't see anything that would
have implied that "{" was a special character in any way unless it was
preceded by "$".

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>