Subject: Re: broken?
To: Simon Gerraty <>
From: Johnny C. Lam <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/24/2004 09:31:16
On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 12:03:44AM -0800, Simon Gerraty wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 23:38:26 +0200, Alan Barrett writes:
> >> That's fine, doesn't a simple \ work?  ISTR :M at least checked for \{
> >
> >Yes, \{ also seems to work with the version of make that I have lying around.
> Ok cool - that's what I would have called "correct".
> Of course I agree that make should be smarter about parsing this
> stuff ;-)

I think the man page should be updated to reflect this bit of knowledge
(needing to backslash-escape the embedded curly brace).  When I read
the man page and tested this on 1.6.2, I didn't see anything that would
have implied that "{" was a special character in any way unless it was
preceded by "$".

	-- Johnny Lam <>