Subject: Re: best way to change -static?
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: Georg Schwarz <geos@epost.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/16/2004 21:23:03
>      The following linker options affects symbol resolution and object
>      specification:
>
>      -B mode   Specifies a search mode. mode can be dynamic, static,
>                direct, or symbolic.
>
>                static    ld selects only the files ending in .a (except for
>                          libc).  If a link with static libraries is needed,
>                          but not all of the needed .a files are available,
>                          use the following:

so might use something like (assuming -B static also holds for sunpro):

.if ${PKGSRC_COMPILER} == "mipspro" || ${PKGSRC_COMPILER} == "sunpro"
LDFLAGS+=	-B static
.else
LDFLAGS+=	-static
.endif

in the toplevel Makefiles of statically linked shells. I think this is the
most transparent way. Maybe it would be nicer to use some case statement?

--
Georg Schwarz    http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
 geos@epost.de     +49 177 8811442