Subject: Re: xemacs-packages (was Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/editors/xemacs-packages)
To: Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@pultek.co.jp>
From: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/15/2004 05:44:26
Masao Uebayashi [Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 01:18:52PM +0900]:
> I don't know what criteria was used to select a subset before.  I
> personally don't have any strong opinion how the set should be.  It'd
> be nice to know how others think of this.

The only thing I need are programming modes. I don't use gnus or w3. On the
other hand, among "programmer-oriented" packages there's oo-browser and jde
- and I am sure I won't need these packages and they're big (3 MB tgz
together).

It is really hard to propose a sensible split. People, who would install
for example "xemacs-packages-net" (gnus, w3, and co) could complain about
having to install w3 (or gnus) - depending, what do they need.

The perfect solution would be propably to make a separate pkg for each
xemacs package, together with some wisely crafted meta packages. In fact, we
could start doing this in -wip, if you agree, I could help you with testing.
Anyway, there's not much sense in creating packages by hand - I'd think of
some perl/python/shell script - XEmacs packaging system has some kind of
meta-information, we could extract them. Also, this option is better because
you can then update a single XEmacs package version (eg. raise c-mode's) and
don't have to reinstall whole package.