Subject: Re: a few issues compiling www/lynx
To: Georg Schwarz <geos@epost.de>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/13/2004 08:13:44
On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 01:28:40AM +0100, Georg Schwarz wrote:
> Trying to compile lynx on IRIX 5.3 I've come across a few issues:
>
> - pkgsrc uses -rpath, in LDFLAGS, which my cc does not understand. Does
> cc on IRIX 6.X understand -rpath?

Yes, IIRC, IRIX 6.X cc understands -rpath.  The mipspro-specific bl3
wrappers convert from -Wl,-R to -Wl,-rpath for this reason.  If your
compiler behaves differently, then please let me know how the IRIX 5.3
MIPSpro compiler is different from the IRIX 6.x one.  In particular,
knowing the output of "cc -version" would be good, as well as how to
set the rpath when linking.  If you could provide a link to a man page
for your MIPSpro compilers, that would help immensely.

> - when configuring with LYNX_SCREEN_LIB=curses I still get:
> ===> Required installed package ncurses>=5.0: ncurses-5.3nb2 found
>
> - likewise, when configuring with LYNX_SCREEN_LIB=curses, I still find
> in lynx_cfg.h:
> #define NCURSES 1                       /* defined for ncurses support
> */
> consequently, ncurses.h and curses.h both get included and there are
> conflicts.
>
> - when configuring with LYNX_SCREEN_LIB=ncurses curses.h is still
> included, and I it conflicts again with ncurses.h.

This may have been fixed recently by my curses.buildlink*.mk commits
and my changes to the www/lynx* packages.  Please try again and let
me know if this still occurs.

> - -lintl can (and probably should?) be left out in LIBS in makefile.

Looking through the source code, it looks to me that lynx uses
gettext() functions quite heavily, so linking against -lintl seems
like a requirement.  Does your IRIX provide built-in gettext() functions
int he C library or some other library distributed with your system?

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>