Subject: Re: a few issues compiling www/lynx
To: Georg Schwarz <geos@epost.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/12/2004 20:33:48
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Georg Schwarz wrote:

> Trying to compile lynx on IRIX 5.3 I've come across a few issues:
>
> - pkgsrc uses -rpath, in LDFLAGS, which my cc does not understand. Does
> cc on IRIX 6.X understand -rpath?

Don't know, but you should be able to work around it, for now, by
adding _USE_RPATH=no to the command line.

> - when configuring with LYNX_SCREEN_LIB=curses I still get:
> ===> Required installed package ncurses>=5.0: ncurses-5.3nb2 found
>
> - likewise, when configuring with LYNX_SCREEN_LIB=curses, I still find
> in lynx_cfg.h:
> #define NCURSES 1                       /* defined for ncurses support
> */
> consequently, ncurses.h and curses.h both get included and there are
> conflicts.
>
> - when configuring with LYNX_SCREEN_LIB=ncurses curses.h is still
> included, and I it conflicts again with ncurses.h.

1) It looks like "ncurses/buildlink3.mk" is included unconditionally,
by mistake. Try commenting that out (near the bottom of pkgsrc'
"lynx/Makefile").

2) "patch-aa" may help, except that the relevant changes are for
"netbsd" only. You might try changing the instances of "netbsd", to
"irix|netbsd". [You can't break a patch by editing it line-for-line.
You will have to run "make distinfo" to regenerate the patch
checksums, though, in order for pkgsrc to accept it.

> - -lintl can (and probably should?) be left out in LIBS in makefile.

That seems to be coming from "gettext-lib/buildlink3.mk". That
should probably be conditional on !IRIX, right by --enable-nls.

Actually... lynx-2.8.5 was released only last week. That may well
build out-of-the-box on IRIX 5 (or maybe not... all the entries in
"ChangeLog" about IRIX are about IRIX 6). In case, it doesn't seem
to be worthwhile to spend too much time on 2.8.4.

Frederick