Subject: Re: Choosing pkgsrc's version of freetype2 and friends over XFree's
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Soren Jacobsen <snj@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/12/2004 17:03:11
On 02/12 23:09, Marc Recht wrote:
> IMHO: fontconfig, Xft2, freetype2, Xrender, xcursor and Xrandr should be
> taken from pkgsrc.

freetype2 from pkgsrc (as it stands right now)?  Ugh.  The bytecode
interpreter code is not built, so fonts look much uglier when using the
pkgsrc version.  In xsrc (and so, I guess, in the default XFree86
distribution) it is enabled.  I noticed this the other day when
BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.freetype2 was bumped.

I'm really not sure about the legal stuff, but
http://freetype.sourceforge.net/patents.html makes it seem like we may
be stuck in ugly land (that is, those of us in the United States).

I wonder if I'm just picky about my fonts and nobody else cares about
this..