Subject: Re: experiences with using xlibs (instead of x11-links) and X11BASE
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/12/2004 14:56:31
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> The following documents some of my experiences with using xlibs as an
> alternative to using x11-links (and no native X and no XFree96-libs). Also
> X11BASE is set to LOCALBASE.
> This is NetBSD/i386 1.6.2_RC3.

> (I tried to get gnome-games installed, but glibwww failed to build

I got that installed.

So I am using no XFree86 libraries. I am using xlibs (freedesktop.org) on
NetBSD. I am not using any x11-links.

I can run gnome-terminal, gnome's panel, freecell, gnect, gnome-xbill,
mahjongg, and others.

xlibs is a success for me!

Some more packages since my last posting:

xvier-1.0nb1        Four-in-a-row game
xcolorsel-1.1anb1   Browse and select named X colors from rgb.txt
cdrecord-2.00.3     Software for creating ISO9660 images and writing CDs/CD-RWs
bash-2.05.2.7nb1    The GNU Bourne Again Shell
glibwww-0.2nb5      Event register functions that use the glib event loop
libghttp-1.0.9      GNOME http client library
gtkhtml-1.1.10nb2   Lightweight HTML rendering/printing/editing engine
iso8879-1986nb3     Character entity sets from ISO 8879:1986 (SGML)
docbook-4.2nb4      SGML DTD designed for computer documentation
dsssl-docbook-modular-1.57nb3 DSSSL stylesheets for the DocBook DTD by Norman Walsh
jade-1.2.1nb8       Object-oriented SGML/XML parser toolkit and DSSSL engine
gtk-doc-0.9         Tools for authors of the GTK+ reference documentation
gnome-session-1.4.2nb5 Gnome-session component split out from gnome-core
gnome-panel-1.4.2nb5 Gnome-panel component split out from gnome-core
gnome-core-1.4.2nb10 Core component of GNU Network Object Management Environment
gettext-m4-0.11.5   Autoconf/automake m4 files for GNU NLS library
gnome-games-1.4.0.4nb9 GNOME games collection

(Note that gnome-games has a libtool/autoconf problem -- my work-around
was to get rid of patches/ directory.)

bigfour:/usr/home/livecd$ pkg_info -R xlibs
Information for xlibs-1.0nb1:

Required by:
xscreensaver-4.14nb2
xscreensaver-gnome-4.14nb3