Subject: Re: Choosing pkgsrc's version of freetype2 and friends over XFree's
To: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
From: Marc Recht <recht@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/12/2004 23:09:35
--==========E3F02C82132936CA87D1==========

> I tend to agree, given the types of errors that I've seen when building
> unintentionally links against multiple versions of a shared library,

And reading things like:
"""
Increased support for FreeDesktop.org standards in KDE 3.2 strengthens=20
interoperability with other Linux and UNIX software.
""" [1]
make be believe it's just the beginning..

> mostly when people build the GNOME desktop.  I want to put a good default
> setting for PREFER_PKGSRC and PREFER_NATIVE in bsd.pkg.defaults.mk.

IMHO: fontconfig, Xft2, freetype2, Xrender, xcursor and Xrandr should be=20
taken from pkgsrc.

Maybe we should put it into bsd.pkg.defaults.mk like this:

FDO_LIBS=3D fontconfig Xft2 freetype2 Xrender xcursor Xrandr
PREFER_PKGSRC?=3D ${FDO_LIBS}

To give users a hint that those libraries belong together...

bzip2, zlib, openssl, db should be native.

BTW, for my patches to work correctly I had to change x11-links (to exclude =

headers/libs) and gtk2's/qt3-libs' (some buildlinks eg. Xrandr, xcursor)=20
buildlink/Makefile as well. So, there's still some work to do.

Cheers,
Marc

[1] http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-3.2.php
--==========E3F02C82132936CA87D1==========