Subject: Re: strange things with NetBSD -current and net-snmp
To: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/10/2004 03:46:16
On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 11:02, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
> Dave Shield wrote:
> > >       Apparently there are hard-coded references to specific NetBSD
> > > kernel data structures in the Net-SNMP code.
> >

> > If there's a better interface that could be used to retrieve this
> > swap information (or anything else), that would be more portable
> > across different releases, please feel free to suggest it.
> > (You doubtless understand the NetBSD system better than we do!)
>
> What kind of swap information is it? Perhaps swapctl(2) would

Well, the good news is that our pkgsrc system permits maintaining local
patches to 3rd party software.  We use these until our patches can be
merged back with the author/project.

In this case, a patch could be maintained for our -rHEAD CVS development
branch ("-current").  When our next major release engineering cycle
begins (2.x branch), all in-kernel data structures changes will be
frozen and we can work with Net-SNMP to merge the changes.

The bad news is that no one [from NetBSD pkgsrc] is designated as the
owner of this particular entry; thus, there is no liaison between the
groups.

In the mean time, to solve this particular problem, we'll have to mine
all the CVS src/sys/* commit messages to see what caused this breakage
and how to approach fixing it.

The last people to make NetBSD specific bits were

1) Patrick Welche <hardaker@net-snmp> 21 months ago (net-snmp cvs logs)

2) kim@netbsd.org 5 weeks ago ; christos@netbsd 6 week ago (netbsd
patches)

3) Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino via tron@netbsd.org 4 months ago (netbsd
patches)

4) Greg A. Woods via Masao Uebayashi 4 months ago (netbsd updates)

-lava