Subject: Re: strange things with NetBSD -current and net-snmp
To: Dave Shield <D.T.Shield@csc.liv.ac.uk>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/09/2004 17:02:01
Dave Shield wrote:
> >       Apparently there are hard-coded references to specific NetBSD
> > kernel data structures in the Net-SNMP code.
>
> Yes - that's correct.
> One of the characteristics of an SNMP agent is that it often needs
> to retrieve fairly low-level information,  and this can sometimes
> result in having to use some fairly O/S-specific approaches. Up to
> and including digging into the kernel for (typically undocumented)
> data structures.    Such an approach is obviously vulnerable to
> breakages.
>
> If there's a better interface that could be used to retrieve this
> swap information (or anything else), that would be more portable
> across different releases, please feel free to suggest it.
> (You doubtless understand the NetBSD system better than we do!)

What kind of swap information is it? Perhaps swapctl(2) would
provie enough info?

Jaromir
-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-