Subject: Re: qt3-tools compile problem
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/09/2004 06:59:03
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > If you could manage to add "-Wl,-rpath-link,/usr/pkg/lib" to the
> > link command line, that should do it.
> >
> > As I suggested here:
> >
> >   http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2004/02/01/0004.html
> >
> > "-rpath-link" seems to be the only reliable way to override shared
> > libraries in the default path, or even in the "usual" path.
>
> Uhu... shouldn't that be done automatically? It's using the pkgsrc
> libfreetype, after all...

It *should* be, but it isn't. One confounding factor is that the
syntax, as far as I know, only works with "gcc". I suspect Sun drops
the "Wl,". Any ELF compilers that provide no mechanism at all to
override run paths in shared libraries are simply broken.

Does qt3-tools use "freetype-config"? You could try adding
"-Wl,-rpath-link,${exec_prefix}" to the "libs" case in the installed
"/usr/pkg/bin/freetype-config", first, to see if that fixes the build,
and only then consider the right, portable thing to do.

Frederick