Subject: Re: strange things with NetBSD -current and net-snmp
To: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
From: Dave Shield <D.T.Shield@csc.liv.ac.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/09/2004 09:45:29
>       Apparently there are hard-coded references to specific NetBSD
> kernel data structures in the Net-SNMP code.

Yes - that's correct.
One of the characteristics of an SNMP agent is that it often needs
to retrieve fairly low-level information,  and this can sometimes
result in having to use some fairly O/S-specific approaches. Up to
and including digging into the kernel for (typically undocumented)
data structures.    Such an approach is obviously vulnerable to
breakages.

If there's a better interface that could be used to retrieve this
swap information (or anything else), that would be more portable
across different releases, please feel free to suggest it.
(You doubtless understand the NetBSD system better than we do!)

Dave