Subject: Re: remove CVS ID string from +DISPLAY
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/08/2004 22:25:39
On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 03:42:37PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Alistair Crooks wrote:
>
> > > It seems like the CVS ID string in the MESSAGE or +DISPLAY files is only
> > > useful for developers.
> > >
> > > Would it be okay of pkg_info -D suppressed that single line containing the
> > > CVS ID ($NetBSD$ string)?
> >
> > I must be missing something, but I don't see the problem with
> > displaying an RCS Id.
>
> It is just extra clutter and noise which may not be useful for admins
> reading the +DISPLAY message via pkg_info -D.
>
> pkg_info showing other information usually doesn't show other CVS IDs.

I find it useful to know the versions of things that make up the
metadata for a package, and that's why I added RCS Ids to all of our
PLISTs, and our patch files, some time ago.  I would much rather have
too much information in this case, than too little.

I do not find it extra clutter, and I don't deem it to be noise, and
I'd prefer to keep the information there if at all possible.

Regards,
Alistair
--
Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
D415 9DEB 336D E4CC CDFA  00CD 1B68 DCFC C059 6823