Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/devel/gmake
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/08/2004 22:21:42
On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 05:54:57PM +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 12:33:09PM +0000, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> > Actually, I'm not sure this is a good idea.
> >
> > Yes, it saves 300K of fetching, but it adds a bz2-aware decompression
> > pre-requisite to this package.  Whilst we are OK for this on NetBSD,
> > other platforms may not have this, and may require gmake to build some
> > dependencies of bz2 (not now, but in the future).
>
> I see your point, and I'm willing to back it out when
> we hit that problem. Is that soon enough? :)

As long as it's well-enough documented (in
pkgsrc/devel/gmake/Makefile), I'd go along with it, but...  why bother
complicating things unnecessarily?  These circular dependencies are a
right PITA to find and squish, and none of this does anything to help
that.

But, there again, I'm living in the Dark Ages (quite happily), so what
do I know?

Regards,
Alistair
--
Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
D415 9DEB 336D E4CC CDFA  00CD 1B68 DCFC C059 6823