Subject: Package for NVidia drivers
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/07/2004 18:27:01
Hi,

I'd like to package the NVidia driver port for NetBSD, but I can't find a
way to do it properly.

Installing the LKM is no big deal, it will end up somewhere in a lkm/ dir,
and everyone is happy.

The difficult part is first, installing the XFree86 driver somewhere
XFree86 can actually find it.  Installing in ${X11PREFIX} won't do the
trick when using xpkgwedge.

Maybe I should just install the XFree86 driver "somewhere" and then add a
MESSAGE file to tell the user to add the ad-hoc path in the Files section
of XF86Config.

There is also the issue of overwriting libGL.so and friends inside the
XFree86 distribution (in order to have things such as glxgears working
directly), but it should be possible to use an INSTALL/DEINSTALL script to
make backups of the overwritten files and restore them afterwards.

Comments?

--
Quentin Garnier - cube@NetBSD.org