Subject: Re: Unifying the handling for xsrc, XFree86, and freedesktop
To: Juan RP <>
From: Marc Recht <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/05/2004 20:14:55

> But still can't understand why we shouldn't use xlibs from freedesktop
> (actually).

It would be nice to have the choice, though.

> Because one time you have already installed xlibs from freedesktop, what
> about X11 server? do we need to install XFree86-server? it sucks.

Choice is good..

> Shouldn't we wait for a full release of X11 from freedesktop (clients,
> libraries/server)?
> I think that's the better way IMHO.

IMHO the user has the right to shoot himself in the food. So, if the user=20
decides to rather install an incomplete(?) distribution of X11 (
he/her should be able to do so. But, IMHO most of the stuff should=20
remain in pkgsrc-wip until it's (more) finished.

Marc Recht

Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (NetBSD)