Subject: successes with LOCALBASE as /usr under NetBSD
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/05/2004 10:11:22
Before I start some other experiments, I want to share some of my
experiences with using LOCALBASE as /usr under NetBSD/i386 1.6.2_RC3
(which has X sets installed too).

This is from cvs from yesterday morning.

I moved my /usr/pkg and /var/db/pkg out of the way first.

Here is my mk.conf:

PACKAGES=              ${_PKGSRCDIR}/packages/${OPSYS}/${OS_VERSION}/${MACHINE_ARCH}
WRKOBJDIR=             /tmp/pkgsrc   # build here instead of in pkgsrc
OBJHOSTNAME=           yes               # use work.`hostname`

#SU_CMD=/usr/pkg/bin/sudo /bin/sh -c
SU_CMD=/usr/bin/sudo /bin/sh -c

PYTHON_VERSION_DEFAULT=23pth

# this is overwriting NetBSD for testing
LOCALBASE=	/usr

_IS_BUILTIN_GCC=YES
_USE_PKGSRC_GCC=NO
PKG_DBDIR=/var/db/pkg-usr

And this is my "pkg_info -K /var/db/pkg-usr" output:

libtool-base-1.4.20010614nb19 Generic shared library support script (the script itself)
curl-7.11.0         Client that groks URLs
sudo-1.6.7.5        Allow others to run commands as root
x11-links-0.20      Shadow tree of links to ${X11BASE} headers and libraries
jpeg-6bnb1          IJG's jpeg compression utilities
png-1.2.5nb2        Library for manipulating PNG images
unzip-5.50nb2       List, test and extract compressed files in a ZIP archive
vim-share-6.2.0     Data files for the vim editor (vi clone)
libiconv-1.9.1nb1   Character set conversion library
vim-6.2.0nb2        Vim editor (vi clone) without GUI
glut-6.0            GLUT Graphics library similar to SGI's OpenGL
gle-3.1.0           GL subroutines for drawing tubing and extrusions
pkg_install-info-4.5nb2 Standalone GNU info file installation utility
gmake-3.80nb2       GNU version of 'make' utility
expat-1.95.6nb1     XML parser library written in C
fontconfig-2.2.1nb3 Library for configuring and customizing font access
pkgconfig-0.15.0    System for managing library compile/link flags
render-0.8          Headers for X11 render extension
glu-6.0             GLU polygon tesselation facility for Mesa
Xrender-0.8.3nb1    Client library for the X Rendering Extension protocol
Xft2-2.1.2nb1       Library for configuring and customizing font access
MesaLib-6.0         Graphics library similar to SGI's OpenGL
lcms-1.06           Light Color Management System -- a color management library
mng-1.0.5           Multiple-image Network Graphics (MNG) reference library
pth-2.0.0           GNU Portable Thread library
qt3-libs-3.2.3      C++ X GUI toolkit
db4-4.2.52          Berkeley DB version 4 from Sleepycat Software
openldap-2.1.22nb3  Lightweight directory access protocol server and client package
xdg-dirs-1.0        Shared XDG directories
libaudiofile-0.2.4  Sound library for SGI audio file
libogg-1.1          Ogg project codecs library
libvorbis-1.0.1     Library for the Ogg Vorbis audio encoding format
perl-5.6.1nb10      Practical Extraction and Report Language
glib2-2.2.3nb1      Some useful routines for C programming
qt3-tools-3.2.3nb1  QT GUI (WYSIWYG) builder and other tools
arts-1.2.0          Analog Real-Time Synthesizer
pcre-4.5            Perl Compatible Regular Expressions library
libart2-2.3.16      High-performance 2D graphics library
tiff-3.6.1          Library and tools for reading and writing TIFF data files
xmlcatmgr-2.0beta1  XML and SGML catalog manager
libxml2-2.6.5       XML parser library from the GNOME project
libxslt-1.1.2nb1    XSLT parser library from the GNOME project
kdelibs-3.2.0       Support libraries for the KDE integrated X11 desktop
glib-1.2.10nb5      Some useful routines for C programming
gtk+-1.2.10nb6      The GIMP Toolkit - libraries for building X11 user interfaces
gdk-pixbuf-0.22.0nb2 The GNOME image loading library
ORBit-0.5.15nb6     High-performance CORBA ORB with support for the C language
zip-2.3nb2          Create/update ZIP files compatible with pkzip
m4-1.4nb1           GNU version of Unix m4 macro-processor
autoconf213-2.13    Generates automatic source code configuration scripts (old version)
MozillaFirebird-0.7nb2 Lightweight gecko-based web browser

MozillaFirebird works!

My issues:

It tried to reinstall gcc. So I added to my mk.conf to stop that. (I think
this is fixed in pkgsrc now.)

It installed pth and then later (on anotherpackage) assumed it was native
and buildlinking was not done, so a build failed. So I forced it to never
assume native. (New pkgsrc's PREFER_PKGSRC will help here.)

kdebase3 didn't build, but I don't think that is related to LOCALBASE as
/usr.

My next experiment with NetBSD and pkgsrc is to have X11BASE == LOCALBASE
(/usr/pkg) without using xpkgwedge.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/