Subject: Re: Unifying the handling for xsrc, XFree86, and freedesktop
To: Johnny C. Lam <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/05/2004 08:34:54
My comments below before reading other responses ...

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Johnny C. Lam wrote:

>  (1) Why are XFree86-* installed into ${PREFIX}/X11R6?  Shouldn't they
>      just go directly into ${PREFIX}?

I have successfully used the XFree86 packages installed when X11BASE is
LOCALBASE. (With only a few file conflicts.)

I'd prefer that XFree86* packages install to X11BASE. But maybe some
checks for current XFree86 installation can be done first and have some

>  (2) Why don't the XFree86-* packages use the Mesa packages for OpenGL
>      support?  Since we have such a headache with conflicting Mesa
>      installations between pkgsrc and xsrc, I thought that the XFree86-*
>      packages would handle this situation better.

This is where I have some of my file conflicts.

I worked for several hours to attempt to get XFree86-libs to build with
using the other packages as dependencies. I stopped working on this when I
realized the depends were recursive -- the dependencies for XFree86-libs
need some X headers and libraries.

It was easier to just use xlibs, because they were already
separated out.  The problem with xlibs is that no everything is done yet.
I am a xlibs developer (although I don't know a lot about
X) and have been able to commit some new X libraries there.

>  (3) Do we intend to support multiple pkgsrc-installed versions of X11?
>      By this, I mean do we support having, e.g. x11/XFree86-libs and
>      Jeremy's eventual x11/xlib, both installed concurrently?  Is there
>      a reason why someone would want to do this (other than "so I can
>      switch back and forth between the two)?

I can't see how they could be completely installed concurrently, except if
XFree86-libs is installed to X11BASE and xlibs is installed to LOCALBASE

We already currently use Xft and Xrender from xlibs.

Also, FreeBSD is working hard at using xlibs to provide
most of their X Libraries.

   Jeremy C. Reed