Subject: Re: Unifying the handling for xsrc, XFree86, and freedesktop
To: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/05/2004 08:34:54
My comments below before reading other responses ...

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Johnny C. Lam wrote:

>  (1) Why are XFree86-* installed into ${PREFIX}/X11R6?  Shouldn't they
>      just go directly into ${PREFIX}?

I have successfully used the XFree86 packages installed when X11BASE is
LOCALBASE. (With only a few file conflicts.)

I'd prefer that XFree86* packages install to X11BASE. But maybe some
checks for current XFree86 installation can be done first and have some
warning.

>  (2) Why don't the XFree86-* packages use the Mesa packages for OpenGL
>      support?  Since we have such a headache with conflicting Mesa
>      installations between pkgsrc and xsrc, I thought that the XFree86-*
>      packages would handle this situation better.

This is where I have some of my file conflicts.

I worked for several hours to attempt to get XFree86-libs to build with
using the other packages as dependencies. I stopped working on this when I
realized the depends were recursive -- the dependencies for XFree86-libs
need some X headers and libraries.

It was easier to just use freedesktop.org xlibs, because they were already
separated out.  The problem with xlibs is that no everything is done yet.
I am a freedesktop.org xlibs developer (although I don't know a lot about
X) and have been able to commit some new X libraries there.

>  (3) Do we intend to support multiple pkgsrc-installed versions of X11?
>      By this, I mean do we support having, e.g. x11/XFree86-libs and
>      Jeremy's eventual x11/xlib, both installed concurrently?  Is there
>      a reason why someone would want to do this (other than "so I can
>      switch back and forth between the two)?

I can't see how they could be completely installed concurrently, except if
XFree86-libs is installed to X11BASE and xlibs is installed to LOCALBASE
(and LOCALBASE != X11BASE).

We already currently use Xft and Xrender from xlibs.

Also, FreeBSD is working hard at using freedesktop.org xlibs to provide
most of their X Libraries.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/