Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/mk
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/05/2004 21:57:54
    Date:        Thu, 5 Feb 2004 13:04:02 +0100 (CET)
    From:        Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>

  | > Um, the pkg in question is printed two lines above, do you really think
  | > that's a problem?

It is, people will misunderstand.

The other targets matter less - make update will work if anyone
tries it anyway.

But when you tell someone who doesn't really understand what it all means

	Do A, or if you prefer do B or C

they'll all just pick A, because they have no idea what the difference
is, and the message clearly suggests that A is the appropriate way.

So, the first one given needs to work, for someone who has no real idea
what is going on, but has just been told to do "make install" in this
directory to get what they need installed.

I have no idea why this change was made in the first place though,
pkg_delete is the safer way to proceed anyway (if you're an expert and
know what you're doing, by all means "make deinstall" - but you don't
need the message to tell you what to do).

With no special config, "make deinstall" will pkg_delete -r

That's not what most people want - when the "you have an older version
installed" message happens to me, I say "OK, may as well upgrade that"
cut/paste the pkg_delete command (in a root window), and one of two things
happens - either the package is removed, in which case I go back to the
make I was running that stopped (or one of its dependencies stopped), or
pkg_delete tells me all of the other packages I'd also have to delete in
order to do what I was doing - at which point, most times, I simply say
"oh well, I didn't really need this anyway, some other month...".

The only other thing "make deinstall" seems to accomplish is cleaning
up the cookie files that indicate that the package has been installed,
which cannot possibly be relevant here, as the package hasn't been
installed - that's what was attempting to be done when it all stopped.

So, is there any real justification for the change?   The pkg_delete
advice seems like the preferred advice to give to me.

kre