Subject: Re: Unifying the handling for xsrc, XFree86, and freedesktop
To: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
From: Marc Recht <marc@informatik.uni-bremen.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/05/2004 14:55:30
--==========58D774A3FBE8E041C849==========

> Before I wade in and retool how X11 is supported in pkgsrc (buildlink2
> and buildlink3, in particular), I'd like some clarification of how the

This really needs overhaul. While doing this you should keep in mind that=20
the freedesktop.org libs could be used with xsrc as well (AFAIK=20
pkgsrc-XFree86 uses them by default). Naturally, those fdo.org libraries=20
have depenencies on other fdo.org libraries as well. This is why I think=20
that a per library version comparision will fail eventually.
For example: qt3-libs
If you take Xrender from pkgsrc, but not xcursor then end up with a library =

which is linked against Xrender two times, since xcursor also has a Xrender =

depency.

IMHO the way to go is to look at "library-sets/-groups" like eg. "XBASE",=20
"XEXTENSIONS". Where XBASE could identify xsrc, pkgsrc-XFree86 or fdo.org's =

X11 libs. XEXTENSIONS would be Xrender, fontconfig and friends, which could =

switch between fdo.org's extensions and the ones from xsrc's s. I doubt=20
that the xsrc-extensions are usefull, though. Since newer Gnome2/KDE3 apps=20
start to depend or already depend on the (newer) fdo.org versions.

--=20
Marc Recht
--==========58D774A3FBE8E041C849==========

--==========58D774A3FBE8E041C849==========--