Subject: Re: check for correct version before building
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/05/2004 00:00:55
On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> If pkgsrc is out of sync, you may get some dependency that is required
> like foo>=0.20 but then if foo is old it could say building foo-0.19 and
> then continue and fail later.
>
> I think it should check if dependency is correct before starting to build.
>
> Or maybe that can't be done easily because is done in a sub-process that
> doesn't have this knowledge?

Dependencies consist of two parts:

	foo>=0.20:../../bar/foo

If the part left of the ':' is not found installed, then it will be (in
pkgsrc) installed by cd'ing into the directory given on in the part right
of the ':'. If that doesn't do the job, pkgsrc is inconsistent and should
be fixed. Of course adding this as some kind of sanity check might make
sense. but I'd rather put that into lintpkgsrc/pkglint then.

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>