Subject: Re: need a C++ compiler? (was: CVS commit: pkgsrc)
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/04/2004 23:58:09
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 22:18:46 +0000, David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk> wrote:

> Or use the the posix 'command -v cc' which, if IIRC,  is required to
> report '/usr/bin/cc' and is supposedly suitable for scripts to parse.
>
> (of course, bash is probably non-conformant...)

Now, now, no need for slander.  ;-)

	$ echo $BASH_VERSION; command -v cc; type which
	2.05.0(1)-release
	/usr/bin/cc
	which is aliased to `command -v'

If you ask me, every copy of bash, everywhere, should have "which" aliased
to "command -v".  The likelihood that a bash user wants /usr/bin/which is
exceedingly small.  Not only that, it meets the Supreme Argument test:
it's easier to type "which" than "command -v".  Much, much easier.  Try
it.

--jkl