Subject: Re: multiple versions of openssl?
To: Hal Snyder <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/29/2004 18:34:14
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Hal Snyder wrote:

> As noted in a previous posting, the latest release of Erlang, R9C-0
> for which there is a netbsd package (thanks). But for crypto, this
> release wants openssl-0.9.7a, per
> -

This doesn't mention if it uses some API that is not compatible with
older version. Does old version work?

I don't know erlang, but I see our package already uses openssl. Is it

> and netbsd pgksrc offers openssl-0.9.6l as of the 2004-1-5 Makefile.

By the way, I think jschauma said he had a 0.9.7x already packaged and
available but he did the update in pkgsrc for 0.9.6 instead.

I recall reading a message from about this, but can't find it.

> What is the recommended pkgsrc Makefile approach to get a coexisting
> alternate version, say in /usr/pkg/openssl-0.9.c/.. ?

There is not a pkgsrc way now. They would have conflicting files.

> Or is there a
> better way?

Try old version. And if doesn't work, either patch erlang or send-pr so
openssl gets updated.

   Jeremy C. Reed