Subject: Re: Determining the "maximum length of command line argument"
To: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/26/2004 16:28:48
[ On Sunday, January 25, 2004 at 15:35:33 (-0500), James K. Lowden wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Determining the "maximum length of command line argument"
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we'd need any in-pkgsrc
> database.

I think you're right about that part....

>  AIUI, the instant question is, "What's the maximum size of a
> command line?"  That's a function of the shell, specifically
> @CONFIG_SHELL@, normally /bin/sh.

But that's not quite right.  The "maximum length of command line
argument" test in GNU Autoconf is actually trying to determine the
maximum number of bytes that execve(2) will accept for the process
parameter list -- i.e. what's known on *BSD systems as the value of
NCARGS in <sys/param.h> (which is 262,144 on NetBSD).

--
						Greg A. Woods