Subject: graphics/netpbm issues
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Georg Schwarz <geos@epost.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/25/2004 16:42:48
Hi,

I just compiled graphics/netpbm (on IRIX 5.3). Netpbm during compilation
calls flex and fails if it does not exist. Therefore building should
depend on devel/flex, shouldn't it?
It should be mentioned in graphics/netpbm/README.html
Probably Makefile should get the following extra lines (similar to
SunOS, but I wonder whether this should not apply to all OSes):

.if (${OPSYS} == "IRIX")
BUILD_DEPENDS+= flex>=2.5.4:../../devel/flex
.endif

I am not sure if more modern version of IRIX come with their own flex.
Then it could be handled similarly to Linux. (could soeone with access
to IRIX 6.5.X please check whether there exists any /usr/bin/flex or
similar?)
Or maybe it would make sense to add such a dependency as a default and
only explicitely exclude those OSes known not to require it?

Also, at least IRIX 5.3's cc does not handle the C code. Using gcc
2.95.3 instead did the trick. However, gcc complains
gcc: unrecognized option `-KPIC'
but it compiles nevertheless.

Finally, there does not seem to be a graphics/netpbm/PLIST file??? So
package buliding or checking does not work...

--
Georg Schwarz    http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
 geos@epost.de     +49 177 8811442