Subject: Re: Developer's guide to buildlink3
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.jan.vier@onlinehome.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/25/2004 02:22:35
Johnny C. Lam wrote:

> BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.tiff?=	tiff>=3.5.4

>  (2) BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.tiff is the actual dependency recorded in the
>      installed package;

Is this supposed to be a list of expressions? As it is written in the
example above for tiff and as I understand it this should be a single
expression, ie the dependency for the package at hand.
In contrast to this example, in every existing buildlink3.mk (from a
view moments ago), the value is added with +=, even for graphics/tiff.

In mk/buildlink3/bsd.buildlink3.mk the pkg_admin command also expects
only a single expression in

  ${PKG_ADMIN} -s "" lsbest "${BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.${_pkg_}}"

This is where I see an error message while building devel/glib on NetBSD
1.5.3:
  pkg_admin: ` ' not recognised
  pkg_admin: `>' not recognised
  pkg_admin: `=' not recognised

BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.pth has the value "pth>=2.0.0 pth>=2.0.0" because
it is set in mk/pthread.buildlink3.mk and is also added to in
devel/pth/buildlink3.mk.

There should be a decision where to set BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.<package>,
either in pthread.buildlink3.mk or the buildlink3.mk for the package.
I would think the latter to be the natural place.

pth/buildlink2.mk uses

  BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.pth?=         pth>=2.0.0

so the problem never happened there although it is set in
pthread.buildlink2.mk as well.

ciao
     Klaus