Subject: Re: Determining the "maximum length of command line argument"
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/24/2004 18:13:54
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 12:06:39 -0600, Ron Roskens <roskens@elfin.net> wrote:
> > >     roskens@hysteria$ cat /usr/pkg/etc/config.site
> > >     lt_cv_sys_max_cmd_len=65536
> >
> > Ah, didn't know that. But what I was referring to was to touch
> > autotools to write their output into some file (well, probably this
> > one as it's already taken care of already) automatically
> > (sorted|uniq'd, whatever) so the usual user doesn't have to do this
> > himself, doesn't run into the chance of writing nonsense there, and
> > can rely on it getting updated accordingly if he updates.
>
> I do know that it saves some stuff into config.cache. Thats probably a
> place to start getting the values.

http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.57/html_chapter/autoconf_7.html#SEC86

Whether or not a package uses config.cache depends on the package, on how
the configure script is invoked.

It seems to me it would make more sense for pkgsrc to write a reasonable
/usr/pkg/etc/config.site when pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install is installed,
unless it already exists.

--jkl