Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/security/stunnel
To: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.jan.vier@onlinehome.de>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/24/2004 17:12:34
[ On Saturday, January 24, 2004 at 16:21:37 (+0100), Klaus Heinz wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/security/stunnel
>
> From the answers I got /var/run exists almost everywhere but might be
> missing on older revisions of the OS.
>
> NetBSD: yes
> FreeBSD: yes
> OpenBSD: yes
> Solaris: yes (>=8)
> MacOS X: yes
> Linux: yes (RH 7.2 confirmed, SuSe 6.4 confirmed, FHS requires it)
> HP-UX: yes
> Tru64 (OSF/1): yes (4.0D (3.2A) confirmed)
> Irix: not on 6.5, probably not on Irix 5?
> BSDOS: probably yes?

Definitely -- even since 1.1:

$ uname -a
BSD/386 weird.com 1.1 0 i386
$ ls -ld /var/run
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Nov 11 21:01 /var/run

> People with a working setup where it is missing (eg Solaris 7 or
> Irix 6) would somehow have to be notified to create it. Any suggestion
> how to do that?

On many older systems, including older SunOS and IRIX systems (and all
AT&T System V derived systems), the right solution is to use whichever
of /var/adm or /usr/adm exists, checking in that order.

On really ancient systems, /etc would be the right place for PID files
and such, though I hold no hope (nor desire) for pkgsrc working on such
ancient systems.  :-)

--
						Greg A. Woods