Subject: Splitting the gnome2 meta package
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/24/2004 19:15:22
Hi all,

I liked the split of the xfce4 meta-pkg in two parts, so I'm thinking about
doing the same for the gnome2 meta-pkg.  I will do the following, if no one
objects:

- Add a gnome-base meta-pkg that depends on basic gnome stuff.  This means
  the session manager, the window manager, the contol center, the terminal,
  the help viewer (yelp), the file manager (nautilus) and maybe something
  else I forget about now.
- Modify the actual gnome2 package to depend on gnome-base (so that we get
  all the stuff above) and install everything else that it already includes.
- Add a gnome-extras package that depends on several other things that are
  not directly related to gnome but are commonly used together it.  This
  includes gaim, gqview-devel, rhythmbox, evolution, xchat, pan, and
  probably others.

While doing this, I'll rename gnome to gnome1 and gnome2 to gnome.

Comments?

Thanks.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>