Subject: Re: Determining the "maximum length of command line argument"
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Martin Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/24/2004 07:56:30
On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 09:49:05PM -0600, Ron Roskens wrote:
> * Martin Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net> [2004-01-24 00:05:34 +0100]:
> > (...)
> > Maybe there should be a global cache in pkgsrc for configure run results.
> > That way it wouldn't be required to set at sometime in advance, yet configure
> > runs over time would add the pieces missing.
>
> You can do this already. Set the value for the variable inside
> ${LOCALBASE}/etc/config.site, and configure will automagically pick it up.
>
> ie:
>     roskens@hysteria$ cat /usr/pkg/etc/config.site
>     lt_cv_sys_max_cmd_len=65536

Ah, didn't know that. But what I was referring to was to touch autotools to
write their output into some file (well, probably this one as it's already
taken care of already) automatically (sorted|uniq'd, whatever) so the usual
user doesn't have to do this himself, doesn't run into the chance of writing
nonsense there, and can rely on it getting updated accordingly if he updates.

To get the right value atm, you'd have to run configure somewhere and look
at its results files to extract the right thing, that's unneeded
user-interaction and error-prone. If there was some package in the tree which
just was there to run a configure stage with *every* function and *every*
header, *every* binary being recorded that the base system possibly offers
(that is, start from what NetBSD offers (stdlib.h inttypes.h errno.h etc. etc.)
and have configure sort out things on non-NetBSD pkgsrc hosts). Run once,
save time, ... -- automatically --, that's the point.

I'd send patches, but I'm no masochist, never dealt with autotools more
than a little I had to at the time (*still shuddering*), so if there is
someone comfortable with it, it's probably trivial for them ...

-Martin