Subject: Determining the "maximum length of command line argument"
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@buildlink.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/23/2004 17:30:55
Newer GNU configure scripts try to determine the maximum length of command
line arguments by trying trying to echo longer and longer strings until
it find the longest string that it can echo (65536 on my i386 box).  This
takes a fairly significant amount of time on my pretty muscular i386
system.  FreeBSD ports has recently decided to set this to 16384 for all
builds to skip this time-consuming step of GNU configure scripts.  Can
we do something similar?  How should we determine this on NetBSD systems?
If it's exceptionally variable, can we arbitrarily choose a reasonble
default for various MACHINE_PLATFORMs?

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@buildlink.org>