Subject: Re: Installing symlink from /usr/pkg/bin/python to preferred
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
From: Marc Recht <recht@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/22/2004 14:44:03
--==========6495980586202EF28B05==========

> An annoying side effect of the way that we support multiple versions
> of python is that "/usr/pkg/bin/python" doesn't exist, so scripts
> can't use the usual
> 	#!/usr/bin/env python
> trick to startup.  It's a hassle to have to edit your scripts to
> contain "python2p3" (or whatever).

Indeed.

> I have implemented a "meta package" in lang/Makefile which installs a
> symlink from /usr/pkg/bin/python to ${PYTHONBIN}.
> I've attached the files (to go into lang/python).

IMHO the "latest and greatest" should also install the "python" bin. (But=20
this is also controversial wrt to pkg/updates).

> Are they any objections to this?

Only one minor thing. IMHO should the PKGNAME reflect Python version it=20
links to. So, maybe something like:
PKGNAME =3D python${PYVERSSUFFIX}-link ?

Maybe be should wait with this until drocher@ is back. I'm pretty sure he=20
has an opinion on this, too.

Cheers,
Marc