Subject: Re: '//' for comments in C code? (archivers/unace)
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Ian Zagorskih <ianzag@megasignal.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/22/2004 05:43:33
----- Original Message -----
From: "Hubert Feyrer" <hubert@feyrer.de>
To: "Georg Schwarz" <geos@epost.de>
Cc: <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 4:35 AM

> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Georg Schwarz wrote:
> > What would be the best way to accompish that?
>
> Get people to write proper code.
> I guess asking pkgsrc to fix everything and it's mother is asked too much,
> and it won't fix author's attitude. Sending them patches and explaining
> often does a good thing.

If getting this way and of course to be consistent, you should ask authors
to cast pointers right way [or at least some way..], remove/dump
unreferenced variables and so so on. Nobody likes compiler's warnings, right
? IMO in most of cases the answer will be "No, we'r not willing to modify
stable code" -> that will just raise conflicts with authors and as a result
decrease the number of packages.

That's not so simple to get people to write a good and proper code :(

ps: just my 2 cents.

// wbr