Subject: Re: imap-uw suggestion
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@apk.od.ua>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/21/2004 17:25:37
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 08:29:41 -0600 (CST)
Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Mike M. Volokhov wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 01:40:13 -0500
> > "Louis  Guillaume" <lguillaume@berklee.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > I've been patching src/osdep/unix/env_unix.c in the imap-uw package
> > > manually for a while now so that I can specify a "mailsubdir" on my imap
> > > server. Finally I got tired of doing it over and over. This avoids the
> > > users' imap folders ending up in their home directory (which is the
> > > default).
> > >
> > > This may not be the best approach in pkgsrc, but here's what I did on
> >
> > That's it. All feature/bug fixes related to software itself should be
> > sent to software authors.
>
> Look at the patch Louis submitted. It's a patch to the NetBSD package,
> not a patch to the software. The question of which values a compiled
> package should have by default is entirely on-topic here.

I've seen, but IMHO  Louis' suggestion is not a pkgsrc issue.

[snip]
> > But another question which I have for a long time is why c-client.cf file
> > stored in the /etc directory, instead of ${PKG_PREFIX}/etc one? I haven't
> > look to all c-client software, but seems this file used by libc-lient.*
> > libraries only, and no clients' references are needed, isn't it?
> >
> > Thus, maybe we can move it to /usr/pkg/etc instead?
>
> Heh, do you want to start a religious war?

No-no-no!!! :-)

> It should rather be
> ${PKG_SYSCONFDIR} or ${PKG_SYSCONFBASE}, so the user or administrator
> can decide. [${PKG_SYSCONFBASE} currently defaults to "${PREFIX}/etc",
> but I for one would like to see it changed to "/etc".]

Yes, you're right, that is ${PKG_SYSCONFDIR}.

Howewer, at this moment in imap-2002e/src/osdep/unix/env_unix.h we have

	#define SYSCONFIG "/etc/c-client.cf"

which is hard coded and (IMHO again) better written as

	#define SYSCONFIG PKG_SYSCONFDIR"/c-client.cf"

having add to CFLAGS a -DPKG_SYSCONFDIR=\"${PKG_SYSCONFDIR}\" string,
so as any 3-rd party packages (which imap-uw is) should store their
config files inside PKG_SYSCONFDIR.

--
Kind regards,
Mishka